2008年1月4日 星期五

[Biz][eco] About Rupert Murdoch bought the Wall Street Journal

This is not a news, I think, that Murdoch bought the Wall Street Journal. He said the Wall Street Journal will change its editorial style from elite financial reporter to New York Times' style.

What occurred to me first is why another New York Times? We don't have many choices of financial newspaper. Well...there may be a lots good financial media in English...but in Chinese, especially in Taipei, the good financial news reporting are not so affluent.

I didn't notice that NY Times is owned by Murdoch, or I would be more amazed. Why would he sell the same things with just different names? Is there economic meaning behind it?

I haven't got the answer, but I know the economists are anxious for monopoly. I can still remeber in microeconomics class, our professor told us that she sometimes consumed something in 'incubator' even with incompetitive price... just wished to prevent the market from monopoly.
Hmmm, it seems not reasonable for an economist to do so...aren't they believe in capitalism or selfishness, like what invisible hand or something else?

In fact, I found many economists are altruists as well. What they want could not be capitalism, but maximum social welfare, which are always connecting to efficiency. Efficiency and capitalism are very different concepts, but some people just get crazy when they listen to the words. Well, it's okay... don't care about it.

By the way, if you'd like to do something to stop Murdoch, go http://freepress.net/murdoch/.

PS. I like Asian Wall Street Journal. :P

沒有留言: